Rare 12 ct. Blue Diamond Uncovered

Blue diamonds are among the rarest variety, and a mine in Lesotho just hit the gem jackpot with the discovery of a gorgeous 12 ct. one.

In a public statement, Gem Diamonds said, “both of these diamonds are expected to fetch good prices at Letšeng’s tenders held in Antwerp, Belgium.”

Earlier this year a 5.3 ct. fancy deep-blue diamond sold for $9.6 million at Bonhams’ Fine Jewellery sale in London, totaling a $1.8 million per ounce return.

Along with the headline find, a 83.9 ct. white described as “exceptional quality” was uncovered in the mine. Gem Diamonds owns 70 percent of this mine, with the remaining 30 percent controlled by the government.

source